Staff Mechanical Engineer
True Digital Surgery is a World Leader in Computer-Guided Microsurgery. We combine 3D visualization and guidance software applications focused on improving accuracy, efficiency and outcomes for surgeons and patients. Our medical imaging and guidance system employs advanced real-time 3D graphic capabilities and proprietary software that is sold to surgeons and hospitals all over the world.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer will lead the development of new mechanical designs for our 3D visualization and guidance systems for microsurgery, working closely with electrical, optical, software and system engineers as well as product managers. The Staff Mechanical Engineer will interface with internal and external teams to deliver complex designs such as high-magnification optical cameras, robotic assisted positioning systems, and active/passive thermal management systems.
In addition to design and development, the Staff Mechanical Engineer will work with a multidisciplinary marketing and engineering team to turn marketing requirements into actionable engineering requirements. They will interface with internal teams, e.g. Software, Quality, Procurement, Production, and external teams, e.g. suppliers, outsourced Industrial Designers. The successful candidate will also be involved in the transfer of products from development to manufacturing including workflow development, production equipment design and throughput optimization. The role will also require working with project and system engineers to create schedules, help define budgets and derive system/subsystem requirements.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer will also mentor junior staff, providing guidance resulting in the team as a whole generating great designs, with a solid design history trail, design documentation, and verification records. The candidate will also mentor junior staff regarding “soft” engineering skills, including working with vendors, working with other groups to turn loosely stated marketing requirements into concrete engineering requirements, and working with the Manufacturing and Service groups in mind as the customer.
SALARY AND PAY TRANSPARENCY
Salary range for this position is between $120,000 and $145,000. Base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, education, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and all applicable company benefits.
The salary range and/or hourly pay rate listed is a good faith determination of potential base compensation that may be offered to a successful applicant for this position at the time of this job posting and may be modified in the future.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Organize and lead design activities for the development and introduction of new products, and the continuous improvement of existing products.
- Provide expert-level Mechanical Engineering guidance and best-practices design for Research, Development, and Sustaining efforts.
- Contribute to improving Engineering and Operations processes, e.g. engineering change order flow, vendor qualification procedures, engineering change order implementation guidance.
- Directly contribute design work, engineering analysis, and prototyping for proof of concept products and assemblies.
- Generate designs which meet all requirements, including documentation, process compliance, reliability, testability, manufacturability, and performance.
- Provide root cause analysis for failures, and improve designs to mitigate those failures.
- Develop tools and procedures for manufacturing which improve efficiency and product yield, and which reduce costs.
- Provide cost and schedule estimates for various tasks.
- Contribute to and lead technical design review with multidisciplinary teams and upper management
- Mentor junior Mechanical Engineering staff
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- Experience in medical device design (electromechanical design preferred)
- Experience designing for IEC 60601 medical safety standard compliance.
- Expert in 3D CAD modeling techniques and creation of detailed 2D drawings - SolidWorks preferred.
- Advanced understanding of GD&T and ability to perform complex tolerance analyses.
- Experience using FEA for early design validation (static, dynamic, thermal, modal, etc.)
- Experience designing parts for injection molding, sheet metal, machining, and other manufacturing processes.
- Understanding and use of engineering tools such as FMEAs, statistical engineering techniques, Design of Experiments, product capability analysis, special characteristic creation, dynamic mechanism design, etc.
- Knowledge of precision mechanical design, and mechanical design for optical systems (preferred)
- Ability to quickly create and build prototypes, ranging from minimal for proof of concept, to full pre-production units used for system level V&V.
- Understanding of materials science and finishing technologies
- Broad knowledge of other engineering disciplines (EE, SW, FW, SysE, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typically requires a minimum of 6 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 4 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 2 years experience; or equivalent experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color, distance and close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment
To respond to this opportunity, please apply through this ad.
For more information about us, please visit www.truedigitalsurgery.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.